Thursday 17 July 2008

Cliffhanger

Last weekend was the British bouldering championships at cliffhanger in sheffield. The comp was really well run and a lot of fun. It was a shock to see how many strong people had turned up!

After returing from europe i needed to get back into plastic. i had a quick session at the works on their new dirty yellow circuit. Gaz told me "it will make you cry" and he wasn't far wrong. Most of the problems are hard and use minging little crimps. I felt pretty psyched to be climbing on plastic again (strange but true) and felt pretty strong, doing most the probems in a session. I left feeling really beaten with really sore skin, but feeling like i was in tune wth plastic again just in time for the comp.

After arriving at the comp on Sunday and warming up we got stuck in to the qualifyers. They were all pretty hard with loads of the problems being dropable due to bad foot holds. I was pretty nervous - i find it hard to climb well with the pressure of having to flash the problems. In the end I managed to do 9 of the 10 problems, qualifying in 2nd place behind Gaz. I was really happy to have made the final and wasn't really bothered with how well i would do as the worst i could do was come 8th and this would have been my best result in the BBCs yet.

After watching the womens final we headed into isolation and began the warm up again. I was out second last after all the others so could take my time and warm up fully.

The first problem suited me totally. An easy lay back led to big moves on pockets and dishes and a tricky move at the end. I dropped the last move on my first go (just funbled the finishing pocket) but did it next go.



The second and third problems were not too hard but they took me a few goes to figure out and do. Luckily they were not very long so i didn't get too tired despite having a lot of goes.
The 4th problem was dirty hard and i got shut down. Luckly so did everyone else ( a couple got very close). I limited my goes on this in order to save some beans for the last problem.

The last problem was easy all the way to the last move which used a tricky foot lock. It seems that most people didn't find the foot lock and couldnt hold the last hold. On my first go i saw what to do but got too pupmed getting there and couldn't make the foot lock work. I knew i could do the problem so i decided to take maximum rest and give it one more go. This time i pulled on and sprinted to the last move. I got there feeling pretty fresh compared to the previous go and had time to make the footlock work, and stick the last hold.


I was pretty pleased to have done 4 of the 5 poblems but presumed a lot of the others would have as well. As i went to sit down and chill Gangle ran up to me and told me i had won. I didn't belive him but then more and more people kept running over and congratulating me! Nice! It turns out that i am the youngest winner yet which is pretty cool, even if it does feel a bit like i won it by accident!

I had decided before the comp that i would be happy to make the finals, even if i came last in the final. After qualifying in 2nd place, i was really chuffed and not at all bothered how well i would do in the final. I think this stopped me from putting too much pressuere on myself which really helped.

Overall the comp was really good fun. It was good to see all the usual comp faces as well as some additional beasts, and it is always nice to feel like you are climbing well.


1 comment: